If you’re looking for an Italian dish that’s great for kids, my easy white sauce pasta recipe is the perfect choice. It has a fusion of flavours and can be made with bacon, chicken or both.
• 200g Mushrooms • 1 Red pepper • ½ Broccoli • 4 Rashers of bacon • Oil (to fry) • 150g Penne pasta • 25g Butter • 25g Plain flour • 300ml Milk • 1 tsp Nutmeg • Salt and pepper • 25g Parmesan cheese • Handful fresh parsley
1. Slice the mushrooms and chop the pepper, broccoli and bacon.
2. Fry in a large saucepan for 5-10 minutes (until the juices from the mushrooms have nearly evaporated).
3. Set these ingredients aside in a bowl. Then return the pan to the stove over a low heat.
4. Add the butter and flour and mix together to make a roux.
5. Pour in the milk and nutmeg then stir continuously for approx. 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
6. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
7. When you’re happy with the thickness of the white sauce, season with salt and generously with pepper. Stir in the parmesan.
8. Add the vegetables and bacon back into the sauce.
9. Drain the pasta from it’s water and add to the sauce as well.
10. Stir together so everything is coated in the sauce then serve garnished with freshly chopped parsley.
Serves: 2 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes | 460 Calories | 17g fat per serving.