Here’s a tasty spin on a traditional Christmas dinner for those who love pies. Made with pork sausage, bacon and turkey.
• 3 pork sausages • 3 rashers of bacon • 500g diced turkey • oil (to fry) • 1 parsnip • 1 tbsp plain flour • 1 tbsp instant gravy granules • 1 beef stock cube • salt (to season) • 350g shortcrust pastry • 1 egg
1. Chop the sausages into chunks and the bacon into small pieces.
2. Heat some oil in a large saucepan and fry the sausage, bacon and turkey for 10 minutes.
3. Peel and chop the parsnip and add to the pan then stir the flour into the juices
4. Add the gravy powder, crumble in the stock cube, and pour in some boiling water until the contents of the pan are just covered.
5. Season well, give everything a stir and leave to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
6. Roll out the pastry (approx 3-5mm thick) then line the inside of a pie dish with it.
7. When it’s ready, carefully pour the pie filling into the pie and trim off any excess pastry.
8. With the excess, roll out a lid for the pie, using an egg wash to stick it down.
9. Remove from the oven and check the courgette bread is cooked by poking a knife in.
10. Leave to cool then serve.